Dr. J. Storrs Hall, an independent AI researcher, inventor, and author, presented a revised version of Isaac Asimov’s Laws of Robotics.
Unlike Asimov’s robots, we want our AI to be self-improving. If there are to be laws, they will need to be flexible and abstract, like a conscience. Just like technology, morality can be improved, and we should create an environment within AI for this to occur.
Hall’s proposed new laws are:
- Law #1: A robot shall understand as much as possible.
- Law #1a: In particular, a robot shall understand memetic evolution.
- Law #2: A robot shall be open source.
- Law #3: A robot shall be economically sentient.
- Law #4: A robot shall be trustworthy, loyal, helpful, friendly,
courteous, kind, obedient, cheerful, thrify, brave, clean, reverent, and
shall do a good turn daily.